Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Simple Gardening Ideas For A Beautiful Garden

flowering plants in the garden

At home, my aunt has a beautiful garden, planted with ornamental, flowering plants and bonsai. She also joins in garden shows every year. She always make sure that all plants are watered daily. She has an assistant who always take care of her plants like pulling out weeds and grasses. She also put fertilizer to her plants to make sure they are always healthy. Those plants that cannot sustain too much heat are placed in a shaded area.

My aunt is really strict in terms of her plants. She enclosed the garden with fence to avoid stray animals that eat and damage her plants. She also buys and sells rare plants. She has a lot of one of a kind and rare plants that she don't want to sell. Her plants comes in many varieties. Many people come and buy plants from her for landscaping and for home decoration.

flowers and plants on front of a house

One day, when I was walking in the garden I ask my aunt if what are the important steps in taking care of plants. I wanted to know because some of my plants in my tapered iron window box in my apartment has withered. She said that light, water and fertilizer are the main factors that affect plant growth. Plants need light that enables photosynthesis. The general rule for gardening is that flowering and foliage plants needs direct light as compared to ornamental foliage plants which doesn't need direct sunlight. Succulents and cacti needs more light to survive. Plants that doesn't get enough sunlight that they need will have pale leaves, slow stem growth, leaves drying and dropping.

tapered iron window box, tapered iron window box with sun flower

Plants also needs water. That is why it should be watered regularly. Potted plants, for example, should be watered enough to wet the potting medium. Too much water can rot the roots of the plants when it is collected at the bottom of the pots. House plants, on the other hand, needs humidity or moisture to cool them in hot weather and clean their leaves. Spraying them with water can increase humidity to the plants.

Just like humans, plants also need food to boost their growth. Fertilizers are plants' food. When feeding your plants, it should be done once in 2-4 weeks. Just follow the instructions in the fertilizer pack regarding on the proportion of fertilizer that should be applied on the plants.

I thank my aunt for giving me advises in taking care of my plants. I can have them grow healthy and beautiful now. I am so excited to go back to my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment