Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Gardening on Clay Pots


Cooking and Gardening are both my favorite hobbies after having a family of my own. During free time, I would love to visit my garden and check on my plants and different kinds of flowers too. Recently, I received a gift from my husband it's a three clay moss colored pots with wood crate and it's perfect for planting herbs that I could use for cooking. And the good thing is that, it has a wood crate so I could move all three pots at the same time, If I want to display them at porches or near windows. I was very happy and thankful because even if I don't say anything my husband knows what I really want and need. Clay pots provide a healthy environment for most plants. Due to the porosity of clay, it allows air and moisture to penetrate the sides of the pot.


There are advantages for indoor and outdoor use of clay pots. These clay pots have a thick wall that could protect plant roots from rapid changes in temperature which can be destructive. They also have a fair amount of weight and do not blow over as easily as some plastic pots. Although plastic pots are lightweight and flexible they do not have the wicking action that clay has making them excellent choice for moisture loving plants or for those gardeners who water infrequently. Since clay does have a disadvantage of drying quickly, avoid planting moisture loving plants like ferns or when attempting to germinate seeds.


Gardeners with a heavy hand at watering like me, always has a tendency to over-water, but using these clay pots, my herbs would really benefit from it. It would also lessen my grocery list since I don't have to buy from the market and it's readily available at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment